top of page


The Government of Canada strongly recommends that Canadian children carry a consent letter if they are travelling abroad alone, with only one parent/guardian, with friends or relatives or with a group. For the purposes of the consent letter, a Canadian child is defined as anyone who is under the age of majority (18 or 19, depending on the province or territory of residence).
A consent letter is not a legal requirement in Canada, but it can simplify travel for Canadian children, as it may be requested by immigration authorities when entering or leaving a foreign country or by Canadian officials when re-entering Canada. The letter demonstrates that Canadian children have permission to travel abroad from parents or guardians who are not accompanying them.
The consent letter should be signed by any person or organization who is not travelling with the child and who has the legal right to make major decisions for the child, including anyone with access rights, custody rights, guardianship rights or, in Quebec only, parental authority.
If you have a court order that states you may travel with the minor(s) abroad without the consent of the other parent, a copy of the court order should be available to show custom/immigration officials and airline agents.
Include as much information as possible on the consent letter such as dates, passport numbers, country(s) and locations where you will be staying, with dates. It is advisable to have the contact info for your accommodations while abroad on the consent letter. It is not necessary to have every detail itemized, but provide as much as reasonably possible. It is not mandatory to have the consent letter notarized. However, it is strongly recommended that the signatures of the non-accompanying parent(s) or guardian(s) be certified by a lawyer, notary, or commissioner of oaths, as border officials will be less likely to question the authenticity of the document.
I am available to help with any questions on the drafting of consent letters.
bottom of page